Chat Server Sample Problem

Dec 18, 2010 at 2:35 PM

Hello,

I downloaded the network library and was looking at some of the samples and found that the SimpleChatServer wouldn't work for me but others would.

It starts a server and creates a client OK (or at least there is no feedback on failure) but when I try and send a message it says, "Not connected to server!"

I haven't modified the program.

Am I missing something?

Thanks.

-- Paul

Coordinator
Dec 18, 2010 at 2:53 PM
one have to start an server instance and then an client instance (e.g. two processes).

On Sat, Dec 18, 2010 at 4:35 PM, Imgodot <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Hello,

I downloaded the network library and was looking at some of the samples and found that the SimpleChatServer wouldn't work for me but others would.

It starts a server and creates a client OK (or at least there is no feedback on failure) but when I try and send a message it says, "Not connected to server!"

I haven't modified the program.

Am I missing something?

Thanks.

-- Paul

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (kaleta@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email kaleta@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

--
LG / Kind regards / S pozdravom
David Kaleta

Dec 18, 2010 at 3:45 PM

David,

Thanks for the fast reply.

I am no longer getting the error but it also isn't "chatting".

Here's what I did (all on one PC):

• I compiled the chat program.
  • I ran one instance of the chat program and clicked, "Start Server".
  • I ran two more instances of the chat program and clicked, "Start client and connect to server" on both.
  • I type a message in either chat window, click send and nothing happens.  No error but no "chatting".

Any ideas?

Thanks.

-- Paul

Coordinator
Dec 18, 2010 at 4:36 PM

there was some issue with threading in the sample , I have fixed it. Pls download the latest source code.

David

Dec 18, 2010 at 6:20 PM

David,

Awesome, fast work.

I downloaded the latest release and found a couple things:

SIMPLECHATSERVERCLIENT:

1)  The namespace is "SimpleCharServerClient" ("Char" instead of "...Chat...").

2)  The Kaleta.Network.DLL is not referenced in the project (I added it).

3)  After I run/ start the server and run/start two clients; I type messages, hit send and it takes at least a few seconds (sometimes as much as 7 secs) for the message to propagate.  Can you tell why it would be so slow?  FYI:  All three instances (one server and two clients) are running on one PC, if that makes a difference.

KALETA XNA TESTER

1)  It's missing all the textures but one.

OUTCAST PROJECT (not ver2):

1)  The "DebugUpdater.cs" file is missing from the Kaleta.Outcast project as are the "ShipSyncDataSerialization.cs" and the "Vector2Serialization.cs" files.

2)  Once I copy these files from Outcast.ver2 and compile I get these errors:

Error    1    The type or namespace name 'Vector2DataSerialization' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)    C:\Documents and Settings\Paul\Desktop\Dev Source\Networking\Kaleta Stuff\Kaleta.Outcast\Kaleta.Outcast\Outcast.cs    57    38    Kaleta.Outcast

Error    2    The type or namespace name 'ShipSyncDataSerialization' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)    C:\Documents and Settings\Paul\Desktop\Dev Source\Networking\Kaleta Stuff\Kaleta.Outcast\Kaleta.Outcast\Outcast.cs    59    43    Kaleta.Outcast

Error    3    'Kaleta.Network.LatencyTester' does not contain a definition for 'Update' and no extension method 'Update' accepting a first argument of type 'Kaleta.Network.LatencyTester' could be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)    C:\Documents and Settings\Paul\Desktop\Dev Source\Networking\Kaleta Stuff\Kaleta.Outcast\Kaleta.Outcast\Outcast.cs    171    51    Kaleta.Outcast

Thanks.

-- Paul

Dec 18, 2010 at 7:08 PM

David,

(AN UPDATE)

I got Outcast to compile.  I don't know what the problem was but it's compiling.

When I run the compiled Outcast (from a separate folder that I copied the EXE, DLLs and content) it works with two instances.  Each instance can see the other and works properly.

However, when I copy the Outcast folder to a second PC on my home network and run the EXE there it gives the generic error message, "Outcast.exe has encountered an error...."

It seems that my second PC is missing something required to run the compiled version of Outcast.

My other PC does NOT have the XNA dev tools installed.

It only has DotNet 1.1 and 2.0 installed.

Both PCs are Windows XP.

Can you think of what may be preventing Outcast running?

Thanks.

-- Paul

Coordinator
Dec 18, 2010 at 7:18 PM

3. the propagation is fast, but that only happens if you make the chat application active, e.g. you click at the window with mouse (this is because of the way how win forms works, I cannot adjust it, maybe run the UpdateNetwork function in a separate thread, you can try it out.

as of the Outcast ver1, this is obsolete, pls try use the ver2 of Outcast.

David

On Sat, Dec 18, 2010 at 8:20 PM, Imgodot <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

David,

Awesome, fast work.

SIMPLECHATSERVERCLIENT:

1) The namespace is "SimpleCharServerClient" ("Char" instead of "...Chat...").

2) The Kaleta.Network.DLL is not referenced in the project (I added it).

3) After I run/ start the server and run/start two clients; I type messages, hit send and it takes at least a few seconds (sometimes as much as 7 secs) for the message to propagate. Can you tell why it would be so slow? FYI: All three instances (one server and two clients) are running on one PC, if that makes a difference.

KALETA XNA TESTER

1) It's missing all the textures but one.

1) The "DebugUpdater.cs" file is missing from the Kaleta.Outcast project as are the "ShipSyncDataSerialization.cs" and the "Vector2Serialization.cs" files.

2) Once I copy these files from Outcast.ver2 and compile I get these errors:

Error 1 The type or namespace name 'Vector2DataSerialization' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?) C:\Documents and Settings\Paul\Desktop\Dev Source\Networking\Kaleta Stuff\Kaleta.Outcast\Kaleta.Outcast\Outcast.cs 57 38 Kaleta.Outcast

Error 2 The type or namespace name 'ShipSyncDataSerialization' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?) C:\Documents and Settings\Paul\Desktop\Dev Source\Networking\Kaleta Stuff\Kaleta.Outcast\Kaleta.Outcast\Outcast.cs 59 43 Kaleta.Outcast

Error 3 'Kaleta.Network.LatencyTester' does not contain a definition for 'Update' and no extension method 'Update' accepting a first argument of type 'Kaleta.Network.LatencyTester' could be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?) C:\Documents and Settings\Paul\Desktop\Dev Source\Networking\Kaleta Stuff\Kaleta.Outcast\Kaleta.Outcast\Outcast.cs 171 51 Kaleta.Outcast

Thanks.

-- Paul

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (kaleta@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email kaleta@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

--
David Kaleta

Dec 18, 2010 at 7:46 PM

David,
I installed DotNet 3.5 on my 2nd PC.
I tried Outcast ver2 on my 2nd PC and it dies right away (no UI, just the generic error dialog).
Any thoughts on what may be causing it to crash.
-- Paul
----- Original Message -----
To: [email removed]
Sent: Saturday, December 18, 2010 12:18 PM
Subject: Re: Chat Server Sample Problem [kaleta:238848]

3. the propagation is fast, but that only happens if you make the chat application active, e.g. you click at the window with mouse (this is because of the way how win forms works, I cannot adjust it, maybe run the UpdateNetwork function in a separate thread, you can try it out.

David

David,

Awesome, fast work.

SIMPLECHATSERVERCLIENT:

3) After I run/ start the server and run/start two clients; I type messages, hit send and it takes at least a few seconds (sometimes as much as 7 secs) for the message to propagate. Can you tell why it would be so slow? FYI: All three instances (one server and two clients) are running on one PC, if that makes a difference.

KALETA XNA TESTER

1) The "DebugUpdater.cs" file is missing from the Kaleta.Outcast project as are the "ShipSyncDataSerialization.cs" and the "Vector2Serialization.cs" files.

Error 1 The type or namespace name 'Vector2DataSerialization' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?) C:\Documents and Settings\Paul\Desktop\Dev Source\Networking\Kaleta Stuff\Kaleta.Outcast\Kaleta.Outcast\Outcast.cs 57 38 Kaleta.Outcast

Error 2 The type or namespace name 'ShipSyncDataSerialization' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?) C:\Documents and Settings\Paul\Desktop\Dev Source\Networking\Kaleta Stuff\Kaleta.Outcast\Kaleta.Outcast\Outcast.cs 59 43 Kaleta.Outcast

Error 3 'Kaleta.Network.LatencyTester' does not contain a definition for 'Update' and no extension method 'Update' accepting a first argument of type 'Kaleta.Network.LatencyTester' could be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?) C:\Documents and Settings\Paul\Desktop\Dev Source\Networking\Kaleta Stuff\Kaleta.Outcast\Kaleta.Outcast\Outcast.cs 171 51 Kaleta.Outcast

Thanks.

-- Paul

--
David Kaleta

Dec 18, 2010 at 7:49 PM

David,
(ADDITIONAL INFO)
I tried an XNA peer-to-peer networking sample on my 2nd PC and the XNA program crashes immediately just like Outcast ver2.
-- Paul
----- Original Message -----
To: [email removed]
Sent: Saturday, December 18, 2010 12:18 PM
Subject: Re: Chat Server Sample Problem [kaleta:238848]

David

David,

Awesome, fast work.

SIMPLECHATSERVERCLIENT:

KALETA XNA TESTER

Thanks.

-- Paul

--
David Kaleta

Coordinator
Dec 18, 2010 at 8:27 PM
in order to run .NET applications you have to install .NET Framework. Outcast was build against 3.5 .NET this means that on that second pc you have to install 3.5 or 4.0 .NET Framework as well.

David

On Sat, Dec 18, 2010 at 9:08 PM, Imgodot <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

David,

(AN UPDATE)

I got Outcast to compile. I don't know what the problem was but it's compiling.

When I run the compiled Outcast (from a separate folder that I copied the EXE, DLLs and content) it works with two instances. Each instance can see the other and works properly.

However, when I copy the Outcast folder to a second PC on my home network and run the EXE there it gives the generic error message, "Outcast.exe has encountered an error...."

It seems that my second PC is missing something required to run the compiled version of Outcast.

My other PC does NOT have the XNA dev tools installed.

It only has DotNet 1.1 and 2.0 installed.

Both PCs are Windows XP.

Can you think of what may be preventing Outcast running?

Thanks.

-- Paul

--
David Kaleta

Dec 19, 2010 at 7:15 AM

David,

I installed 3.5.  No luck.

I installed 4.0.  No luck.

There is something about this PC that causes your network stuff and the XNA stuff to choke.

I had hoped to try and create a networked game, but if I can't test it, I can't create it.

Very frustrating.

-- Paul

Coordinator
Dec 19, 2010 at 8:12 AM
you can develop the game on just one machine, not on two. You start two instances of Visual Studio. On one instance you develop and the other one (which of course opens the same project) you will use just for testing.
Developing a game on two computers is more frustrating.

David

On Sun, Dec 19, 2010 at 9:15 AM, Imgodot <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

David,

I installed 3.5. No luck.

I installed 4.0. No luck.

There is something about this PC that causes your network stuff and the XNA stuff to choke.

I had hoped to try and create a networked game, but if I can't test it, I can't create it.

Very frustrating.

-- Paul

--
David Kaleta

Dec 19, 2010 at 2:38 PM

David,

Thanks for that idea, it's a very good one.

However, the reason for developing this particular game is to play it with my sons over our home network.

If I can't make it work on my 2nd PC, there's no point.

I don't remember configuring these two PCs any differently and file sharing works fine. I'm just lost.

-- Paul

Coordinator
Dec 19, 2010 at 2:54 PM
try to install the XNA Studio on that second computer as well, maybe that will solve your problem.

David

On Sun, Dec 19, 2010 at 4:38 PM, Imgodot <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

David,

Thanks for that idea, it's a very good one.

However, the reason for developing this particular game is to play it with my sons over our home network.

If I can't make it work on my 2nd PC, there's no point.

I don't remember configuring these two PCs any differently and file sharing works fine. I'm just lost.

-- Paul

--
David Kaleta